Escape Artist

I'd been AWOL so often
they restricted me to the base,
put me on a monitored work detail
transferred me to a secure barracks
where you had to check in and out,
but if you didn't check in after work
they didn't report it for 24 hours…

And the diligent guards at the gate,
worried about illegal intruders,
never bothered to check your ID
if you smiled at them as you left…

so…

I spent a lot of time in my civvies
on a bus or hitch-hiking home for
five-or-six day weekends, knowing
the MPs wouldn't come looking
until I'd been gone for a week…

but by then, I'd turned myself in,
got a free ride back to the base.

After a while they finally got wise
and did what they needed to do:
they labelled me 'Undesirable',
decided I wasn't worth a lock-up,
tallied up their compliant masses,
occupied themselves with murder
and set me free.

---------------[|||]---------------
Miz Quickly's Octoberfest # 23
~ Kinda Like Ferris Bueller ~
---------[||]---------

Quickly