Cats have never been my favorite pet. Most of my family members don't like cats, as a child I began not to like them either.

All my experiences with cats have been bad. In my neighborhood as a child it was this older man that lived down the street that had cats all over his property. 20 + cats. All of them seemed healthy but it was still way too many. He had a cat farm in our neighborhood for no reason. Not only did he have a bunch of cats he had about 3 junked cars in his back yard. Every now and then a cat would give birth inside one of the old man's cars. It always happened in the most inconvenient spots, and the old man would ask me to go get the kittens out. He was a nice old man so I didn't mind helping him out. I learned one thing about cats, they are very protective of their kittens. I've got attacked several times. I learned the key is move the kittens when mom is out hunting for food. I never understood why he always wanted me to move them, it wasn't like the cars worked. Today looking back I think him and his friends got a kick out of seeing this little kid getting attacked by cats. I guess it was probably entertaining to watch, maybe. All he wanted me to do was moved them anywhere else in his yard other than his junked cars.

Then across the street it was a older lady who would feed the cats. She would come to her side door 3 times a day and throw table scraps out to the cats. Those cats ate anything, bacon, Turkey, steak, sausage. Whatever her family ate the cats ate. On one side of the street the old man gave the cats somewhere to stay. On the other side of the street the old lady was feeding them. Those cats had it made. They were big cats too, that liked to fight each other. It was sad and scary because it was a few missing ears and a few had eye injuries. The cats were happy and heathly but they were rough and aggressive.

Some of the cats were really aggressive. Most kids get chased by dogs in their neighborhood. In ours cats would chase you and try to scratch you. Its nearly impossible to outrun an attacking cat, so the best bet is try to scare it away or fight it.

Once as a child I was coming home later than I should have been. It was really dark outside and I was paranoid because it was a neighborhood with a bunch of crime. I was walking through this big field about two blocks from my house and I spot this cat in the middle of the field digging a big hole. I knew cats dig holes but not like this, the hole was really big and the cat was digging super fast. The cat hears me, stops digging and looks up from the hole. The cats eyes were a shade of red I can't even describe. As soon as it looked at me, it was like it saw its prey. It ran straight at me, I tried to run but I didn't get anywhere. It jump on me and started clawing at my chests arms and hands. Luckily it was winter and I had on a good coat. The entire time the cat is attacking I'm running and trying to pull it off of me. This went on for a block and a half. When I got home my hands were all scratched up and my clothes had scratches and claw marks. I was out of breath and horrified for at least 20 minutes. I looked like I had got attacked by a bunch of people. In my mind I almost just got killed by a crazy killer cat. I still don't know what was wrong with that cat.

I've never had a cat and I never plan to get a cat, but I don't dislike them anymore. I think I didn't like cats as a kid because I was traumatized from all the cat attacks I went through. Now I can laugh at all my cat stories. They weren't funny then.


This post is ad-supported