I can't help having mixed feelings about chickens. Almost all of them, to me, are attractive. They give "selflessly", not that they have a choice exactly, but usually if they are cared for, they serve us well.

I was upset yesterday morning to find a hen with a serious neck injury. It's obvious to me that other chickens, or maybe just the rooster, are causing this. This time, it seemed possible that the bird could live, so while she sat in a nest box, I slathered Polysporin on the wound and then put a length of knee high pantihose over the hen's head. I will keep an eye on this and hope for the best. I don't care how much Polysporin it takes, if it helps, but I don't want her to suffer.

And I'm distressed to see that there is another chicken in a similar state, but she won't be as easily "doctored" as the above patient.

The Asiatic Lily, 'Cappuccino' is fading. Still a favourite! Mica is standing by in case I let her drink from the hose: she waits for it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
In the morning, Gary checks his email, and Mica stays as close as she can.
Jade and Sasha, both seniors, went home on Sunday. Their family suffered a human loss, but we were "here" for them.
Carly, always my girl, my buddy. We love each other.
Sadie

Sadie and Kika are new friends of mine, from the same family.

Gypsy, Mica's sister, arrived last night for a couple of days. Photo later.

Even though the mosquitoes are still pretty bad, I've been appreciating the lush growth and vibrant blooms everywhere in the yard.

The speckles on the nasturtium leaves are from "Raid" sprayed near the door (to prevent 🦟🦟🦟 from streaming into the house).
We won't put those in the salad.
I bought this Monarda to coordinate with the petunia in the same pot (see background blurry bloom). Oh well, it's a very different colour, but all colours are appreciated here. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Today, Monday, I didn't book any grooming. I must find time to go clean the vacation rental sometime.


This post is ad-supported