lower case

Well, let's see. Need to wedge the drawer pulls. One turning to go on the bottom drawer & 2 initials flanking it. Some touch-up color here & there, then oil it. Most recent additions were the feet and the base molding.

JA's miter box

When I got this miter box from Jennie Alexander I tried to sell it. I'm so glad it didn't work. It's heavy & bulky and I rarely use it. But when I do, I'm glad I have it. That's the front piece of molding for the base. I was kicking myself for not making an extra full-length piece. I kept thinking "if I cut this too short, I have to rive a new piece. plane it, dry it, cut the molding, then paint 2 coats of black on it." I cut it the right length. Whew.

nailing it on

It's glued & nailed. I don't know why I glued it too - just been gluing so many things on I guess. Some of the original cupboards from this shop never had a base molding. They look better with it. Right now the feet are just fitted in, it was late in the day & the shop was getting cool, so I didn't want to glue them until the next time the stove's running. Another session I shifted to the upper case. I turned new versions of the pilasters that flank the door. The first set would have worked, but they were a bit heavier than these. I'm glad I re-did them. A lot of work, but worth it.

front pilasters

Then the small turned "drops" - these are also glued & "sprigged" on. I used 7/8" cut nails instead of handmade iron sprigs. I even snipped them shorter. They just prick into the panel. There are 1" round button shapes coming to go under these 3 spindles.

adding turned decoration

Today I was sorting oak panels for the drawer bottoms. When I made the drawers I just put some of the bottoms in place, mostly to keep the drawers square. So now begins the task of filling them in. I need about 150" of width. 2 drawers at 39" wide, 2 at 36". The panels vary from about 7" wide to just over 10". Many taper in their width. so it's a bit of a puzzle. They finish about 3/8"-7/16" thick. First thing tomorrow is plane sharpening.

sorting drawer bottom stock

(here's more detail on the drawer bottoms - in that post I made the same comment about the miter box!)

(pt 32 Essex County cupboard project 2021/22)