derrycats posted: " Things happen quickly in rescue. Phone calls come in and sometimes the need it truly urgent. Last night we got one of those. A social worker whose client was unable to stay in the home, and lots and lots of cats, including a litter of fairly newborns. "
Things happen quickly in rescue. Phone calls come in and sometimes the need it truly urgent. Last night we got one of those. A social worker whose client was unable to stay in the home, and lots and lots of cats, including a litter of fairly newborns.
Luckily the Humane Society in that city is helping with many of the cats, but the shelter is no place for newborns. So they are in my spare room for now. My guess is that momma is very young, and the babies are probably between 7-10 days old. All tuxedo cats. Very cute.
Because Marley and I are leaving on vacation in a few days, another foster will take them in a couple days, after I've assessed everyone, and care for them while we are away. I'm going to name them all for the characters in the TV show "This is Us," so the momma cat is already Rebecca. The rest will have to wait until we can sex them...very difficult at this age! (Speaking of which, Daisy, in the Donald Duck litter, was sexed by a vet at two weeks of age, but it turns out she is now Donald, rather than Daisy. If even a vet can get it wrong at this age, I'll wait a little bit before we give it a go.)
They are settling in for now. Momma Rebecca seems friendly but scared right now, and VERY hungry. She's getting kitten food to keep her calories up so she can feed five babies. We have lots of learn about them, and hopefully, plenty of time. They look healthy so far, but I'm letting them settle for now, and I'll give them a better look tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment