latestpets

Friday, 22 July 2022

[New post] Barry M Velvet matt nail polish: Silent cove blue

Site logo image Taylor Tries Her Best posted: " There is just something about having my nails painted that makes me feel like a Real Woman. I just feel a bit more put together and polished...no pun intended. Since going vegan though my nails grow so quickly that I find getting my nails done profession" Taylor Tries...

Barry M Velvet matt nail polish: Silent cove blue

Taylor Tries Her Best

Jul 22

There is just something about having my nails painted that makes me feel like a Real Woman. I just feel a bit more put together and polished...no pun intended. Since going vegan though my nails grow so quickly that I find getting my nails done professionally is a waste, because within two weeks my nails will have grown and I'll have the odd naked bit of nail at the bottom that always looks unsightly. But doing my own nails is always a nice treat, and in the interest of self care I have been trying out new nail colours to play with every few months or so.

Now I am a fan of Barry M products so thought I would be good with one of their nail ranges. I was very intrigued by the 'matt' finish: Surely nail polish is called nail polish because it looks like polish on your nails? So it makes your nails shiny? So I was intrigued to see how matt the colour would actually come out and how it would actually look on real nails. I have only ever seen matt colours used on acrylic nails, so I felt like a little experiment.

Right off the bat, this nail polish stinks of chemicals. It is easily the strongest smelling nail polish I have ever used so trust me when I say no t to get too close to the bottle or your nails while you're painting them. I think I gave myself a contact high from looking too closely at the bottle! I also found the smell lingered for a while, even after you put the lid back on the bottle, so that was a bit tough especially with the weather as hot as it is in the UK right now. Thankfully though that smell doesn't linger on your hands once the paint is dry, nor do your nails stink for the entire time you have them painted.

Now the brush is more oval shaped than other nail polish brushes I have used before and while it was easier to use (in the sense that I could do two strokes and my nail was painted) it was slightly hard to judge how close to the sides I was getting, hence for my rather shoddy painting - especially on my right hand! I feel a smaller brush is better for the precision it can give you, but I also appreciate the wider brush for super quick application.

So the paint actually goes onto your nail wet and shiny like every other nail polish out there. But as it dries it gets that matt finish. I also have to say that it does dry very quickly - maybe 10 seconds after I applied the paint it was already a solid matt colour. Now once fully dry (roughly 10-15 minutes after second coat has been applied) it does have a really nice, dark finish to it. There is the very slight reflection off of it but I don't think that can be helped - it definitely doesn't shine like other nail polishes but it does have a very soft hint of shine. I am not sure if that makes it 'not real matt' but personally I don't mind.

As with all Barry M products the nail polish was very affordable. Seeing as most nail polish bottles will last me at least a year (if not multiple years) £3 a bottle is a very good bargain. But also for £3 I guess you do get what you pay for, in that it will not be a 100% perfect product: the smell is a big downside to this product when using it and the colour may not be super matt. But for £3, I can't really expect a miracle product.

Overall: 6/10. An interesting variation and I admire the attempt at something different. However I think it can still be improved.

T xxx

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Taylor Tries....
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://taylor-tries-her-best.com/2022/07/22/barry-m-velvet-matt-nail-polish-silent-cove-blue/

Powered by WordPress.com
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play
at July 22, 2022
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

591072 is your Substack verification code

  ...

  • 52 Ancestors, Week 9: Changing Italian Names
    petrini1 posted: " For Week 7, the theme of genealogist Amy Johnson Crow...
  • MAKING MY PEACE … with falling and faceplanting
    A fall, a faceplant, and getting back up again … ͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­...
  • MAKING MY PEACE … with putting my hands up, up in the air
    The power pose of personal peace - with psychological benefits ... ͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏  ...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

latestpets
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • May 2026 (5)
  • April 2026 (6)
  • March 2026 (7)
  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (12)
  • November 2025 (20)
  • October 2025 (15)
  • September 2025 (19)
  • August 2025 (42)
  • July 2025 (29)
  • June 2025 (32)
  • May 2025 (31)
  • April 2025 (22)
  • March 2025 (30)
  • February 2025 (11)
  • January 2025 (17)
  • December 2024 (13)
  • November 2024 (4)
  • October 2024 (5)
  • September 2024 (1383)
  • August 2024 (1489)
  • July 2024 (1575)
  • June 2024 (1527)
  • May 2024 (1649)
  • April 2024 (1628)
  • March 2024 (1601)
  • February 2024 (1547)
  • January 2024 (1517)
  • December 2023 (2086)
  • November 2023 (1872)
  • October 2023 (1162)
  • September 2023 (817)
  • August 2023 (976)
  • July 2023 (1178)
  • June 2023 (1056)
  • May 2023 (1016)
  • April 2023 (956)
  • March 2023 (782)
  • February 2023 (907)
  • January 2023 (1492)
  • December 2022 (1417)
  • November 2022 (961)
  • October 2022 (954)
  • September 2022 (720)
  • August 2022 (754)
  • July 2022 (866)
  • June 2022 (635)
  • May 2022 (622)
  • April 2022 (602)
  • March 2022 (628)
  • February 2022 (539)
  • January 2022 (699)
  • December 2021 (1329)
  • November 2021 (2856)
  • October 2021 (3168)
  • September 2021 (3143)
  • August 2021 (3242)
  • July 2021 (2446)
Powered by Blogger.