latestpets

Thursday, 23 March 2023

[New post] I’ve Watched Shadow and Bone Season 2 and It Was a Disaster

Site logo image lapetitepritt posted: " Hello, bookworms! Happy Thursaday, and happy "Pritt is going to complain about Shadow and Bone season 2 for the whole article" day to everyone who celebrates it. I'm joking… mostly. It's been a while since I've last reviewed a TV series. If I a" La Petite Pritt

I've Watched Shadow and Bone Season 2 and It Was a Disaster

lapetitepritt

Mar 23

Hello, bookworms!

Happy Thursaday, and happy "Pritt is going to complain about Shadow and Bone season 2 for the whole article" day to everyone who celebrates it. I'm joking… mostly.

It's been a while since I've last reviewed a TV series. If I am not mistaken, the last one was season one of One Of Us Is Lying, and that was kind of a disaster as well… Let's hope that Daisy Jones & The Six will change this trend for me, or I'll curl up in bed and cry.

Anyways, I always try to make my reviews spoiler free, but in this case it's almost impossible, so please only read this one if you've already watched Shadow and Bone S2 or if you don't mind spoilers, either because you're not watching it, or simply because you don't care.

Also, I think I am going to structure this review into paragraphs, same as I did back in 2021 when I was talking about the first season. That article is in Italian, but if you are interested in reading it, you can find it in the "TV Series" section here on the blog. But without any further ado, let's get the review of this *thing* started and over with!

The cast
I am only going to go over the cast of the first season very briefly: all my opinions about them are confirmed; my favourite actors to play their characters remain Kit Young and Amita Suman, but I appreciate all the other ones (aside from Ben Barnes, whom to be honest I have never liked as an actor and I don't care for him as the Darkling as well).

As far as the new cast members are concerned, I am a huge fan of Tolya and Tamar's actors, Lewis Tan and Anna Leon Brophy. They did a great job at portraying them, and I think they are the only thing I want to claim about this season… I also liked Jack Wolfe, despite him not being as I imagined Wylan to be. However, seeing as I'll never be satisfied when it comes to my favourite characters casting — unless you are an Heartstopper actor — I did not mind that much. I only wish they had dyed his hair, but alas.

The real problem in this series was Nikolai. More on this later, but I've never agreed with the casting choice, and I hoped to change my mind seeing Patrick Gibson actually playing. Let's just say I did not change my mind, and I'll forever stand with my Rudy Pankow as Nikolai Lantsov agenda. Nothing against Patrick himself, just not my kind of Nikolai.

The characters and plot
Now, this is where the problems began. I don't even know how to articulate the mess they did while writing the script for this season. On the one hand, I understand the fear of not knowing whether Netflix is going to renew the show and having to cram everything in 8 episodes, on the other hand, I would have done a completely different job, were it up to me.

Genya, the Darkling, Alina, Mall, Wylan and Pekka Rollins were all either watered down versions of themselves, or completely out of character, which in turn influenced their relationships with the other characters, making everything feel out of place and not in a good way. Also, some of the new characters were so useless I don't even know their name.

The changes in the plot were absurd. I am perfectly aware that when you are making an adaptation you have to make some changes, because what happens in books is not always translatable to screen, but the changes have to make sense and make the story feel smooth.

What happens in this case, for me, is that both the Crows and Alina's storylines lose of depth, and I felt myself getting distracted a lot. I was mostly bored, and I only kept watching because I was doing a marathon with Juls and we could comment together. I am 100% sure that had I been watching it on my own, I would have dropped the whole thing early on.

Also, I can excuse wanting to have the two storyline interact (in season 1 it was even fun, as far as I am concerned), but can we please talk about time passing at weird rates in this season? How could they move countries so fast is beyond me. Did the writers think they could get away with such lazy writing or am I missing something?

I honestly hope they are not going to renew the show for a third season, because they have ruined it and I don't think there's a way to keep going, unless they change everything about King of Scars/Rule of Wolves. I also honestly do not want to see the whole Wesper/Kuwei thing, now that they have made Wylan out of character and Wesper cringe. And what was that "Alina embraces darkness" ending? That was so horrible, I cannot think about it.

Costumes, hair, SFX and whatnot
I really need to know who was responsible of the choice of dressing Zoya in pink in the last episode. Who the hell thought it was a good idea? I mean, I am not an expert on color matching and color theory, but everyone could see that was not a sensible choice…

Overall, costumes and hair looked cheap and nothing truly fit the characters most of the times, if I have to be honest. They looked more like theatre costumes than they did TV.

I have no idea of the budget of the series, but if that's all they could manage, I'd assume they spent the entirety of it into paying Ben Barnes and Zoë Wanamaker, because they surely did not go into paying SFX or makeup experts. Those scars on the Darkling face will come visit me in my nightmares, they were truly terribly done. I still wonder how.

Overall
In general, I did not find this season entertaining. I've seen people saying that were it not an adaptation, they would have actually enjoyed it more or that, in spite of all the changes, they had fun and that's what matters for them. I envy those people, because I found the season to be lacking, both as an adaptation and as an "original" fantasy series. As I said, the whole thing was boring and too surface level for me to care for any of it, and I am disappointed. I've certainly watched worse series, but I even watched better things that had less budget.

I will be watching whatever sequel or spin-off they are making, if they end up getting renewed, because I've come this far at this point, but if my expectations for season 2 were low, they will be non existent for an hypotetical season 3 or spin off on the Crows.

That is going to be all for today. I will talk to you soon with a new bookish review this time!

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from La Petite Pritt.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://lapetitepritt.wordpress.com/2023/03/23/ive-watched-shadow-and-bone-season-2-and-it-was-a-disaster/

WordPress.com and Jetpack Logos

Get the Jetpack app to use Reader anywhere, anytime

Follow your favorite sites, save posts to read later, and get real-time notifications for likes and comments.

Download Jetpack on Google Play Download Jetpack from the App Store
WordPress.com on Twitter WordPress.com on Facebook WordPress.com on Instagram WordPress.com on YouTube
WordPress.com Logo and Wordmark title=

Learn how to build your website with our video tutorials on YouTube.


Automattic, Inc. - 60 29th St. #343, San Francisco, CA 94110  

at March 23, 2023
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

591072 is your Substack verification code

  ...

  • 52 Ancestors, Week 9: Changing Italian Names
    petrini1 posted: " For Week 7, the theme of genealogist Amy Johnson Crow...
  • MAKING MY PEACE … with putting my hands up, up in the air
    The power pose of personal peace - with psychological benefits ... ͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏  ...
  • MAKING MY PEACE … with falling and faceplanting
    A fall, a faceplant, and getting back up again … ͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

latestpets
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • May 2026 (5)
  • April 2026 (6)
  • March 2026 (7)
  • February 2026 (6)
  • January 2026 (12)
  • December 2025 (12)
  • November 2025 (20)
  • October 2025 (15)
  • September 2025 (19)
  • August 2025 (42)
  • July 2025 (29)
  • June 2025 (32)
  • May 2025 (31)
  • April 2025 (22)
  • March 2025 (30)
  • February 2025 (11)
  • January 2025 (17)
  • December 2024 (13)
  • November 2024 (4)
  • October 2024 (5)
  • September 2024 (1383)
  • August 2024 (1489)
  • July 2024 (1575)
  • June 2024 (1527)
  • May 2024 (1649)
  • April 2024 (1628)
  • March 2024 (1601)
  • February 2024 (1547)
  • January 2024 (1517)
  • December 2023 (2086)
  • November 2023 (1872)
  • October 2023 (1162)
  • September 2023 (817)
  • August 2023 (976)
  • July 2023 (1178)
  • June 2023 (1056)
  • May 2023 (1016)
  • April 2023 (956)
  • March 2023 (782)
  • February 2023 (907)
  • January 2023 (1492)
  • December 2022 (1417)
  • November 2022 (961)
  • October 2022 (954)
  • September 2022 (720)
  • August 2022 (754)
  • July 2022 (866)
  • June 2022 (635)
  • May 2022 (622)
  • April 2022 (602)
  • March 2022 (628)
  • February 2022 (539)
  • January 2022 (699)
  • December 2021 (1329)
  • November 2021 (2856)
  • October 2021 (3168)
  • September 2021 (3143)
  • August 2021 (3242)
  • July 2021 (2446)
Powered by Blogger.